Why Choose Us
With so many rival trekking operators out there to choose from, it is worth highlighting the main reasons why we think you should choose us to organise your holiday in the Himalaya or Karakoram.
- The Mountain Company is an independently owned operator focussing on trips to the Himalaya and Karakoram. We have a strong track record and deep experience of our destinations, whilst still being small enough to offer a good old fashioned friendly and personal service.
- We are based in the United Kingdom (UK) although we usually find that our groups are international with people coming from many different countries of the world.
- Our trekking holidays are tried and tested and since TMC was set up in 2004 our groups have had excellent success rates of completing their objectives. We design the day by day itinerary for a gradual ascent profile to allow time for your body to naturally adapt to high altitude.
- We work with the best mountain leaders and guides in the business, with deep knowledge and experience of the Himalaya and Karakoram. Unlike many other operators we still allocate appropriately trained International Leaders for more remote and technical trips.
- We organise treks to Everest and Annapurna regions of Nepal while staying in Teahouse Lodges and Luxury Lodges, however we also enjoy organising Camping style treks to explore the most remote regions of the Himalaya and Karakoram. Many of these are along The Great Himalaya Trail (GHT) where you are unlikely to see many other trekking groups.
- Through our online pre-trip application, we carefully screen everyone applying to join our groups. By asking about your outdoor experience, fitness level and medical conditions we hope to ensure you have an enjoyable and successful trip suited to your ambitions and capabilities.
- Our trips are priced in a number of currencies including Pounds Sterling, Euro, US Dollar, Canadian Dollar, New Zealand Dollar and Australian Dollar. This means you will pay in your own currency into our local bank accounts held in these countries.
- We send a Thuraya satellite phone on all of our trekking holidays in Nepal, Pakistan and Bhutan. It is critical for group safety, risk management and contingency planning in an emergency situation, to know the location of and to have reliable communications with our trekking groups in the field.
- We have invested in high quality group equipment to support our camping groups in Nepal, such as Mountain Hardwear Trango 3.1 and Quechua tents.
- We monitor the weather forecasts throughout the season by getting bespoke weather forecasts from Everest Weather "High Altitude Mountain Weather Forecasting Services" and also from in house forecasting. Having reliable forecasts is important for safety before crossing a high pass or climbing to a summit.
- Given the current uncertain economic climate, you can rest assured that any money paid to us for your holiday is 100% financially secure. Our UK clients will be issued an ATOL certificate backed Civil Aviation Authority as a department of the British government. Our international clients will be covered by our financial protection with Association of Bonded Travel Organisers Trust (ABTOT).
- The Mountain Company is proud to be a member of the Association of Independent Tour Operators (“AITO”). We are fully insured with combined public and product liability up to GBP5 million and hold professional indemnity insurance up to GBP1 million.
- We love what we do and are passionate about organising trips to the Himalaya and Karakoram. Our Managing Director, Roland Hunter, has been on most of our trips and has personally inspected all of the hotels used by us.